WELCOME!
THE MUSEUM
VISIT US
EXHIBITIONS

 

NEWS
WHAT'S ON?
SCHOOL/KIDS
RESTORATION
RESEARCH
DOCUMENTATION
CONTACT US
SEARCH

 

 
Gloster Gladiator II
 
   


United Kingdom, single-seat biplane fighter


The Gloster Gladiator was the last fighter biplane ever to be manufactured. It took to the air for the first time in 1934 and was brought into operative service in 1937. In spite of its armaments and good range of other equipment, this type of plane was actually out of date before it ever became operative. Of the 747 that were built, 30% of them were exported.

The Museum's Gloster Gladiator belonged to 263 Squadron of the RAF. It was flown from the aircraft carrier HMS "Glorious" to an air strip on lake Lesjaskogsvann on April 24, 1940. The following day, German bombers attacked several times and 13 of the 18 aircraft there were destroyed or damaged on the ice.


TECHNICAL DATA

LENGTH:

8,4 m

WINGSPAN:

9,9 m

HEIGHT:

3,5 m

MAX T/O WEIGHT:

2206 kg

MAX SPEED:

414 km/t

CEILING:

10200 m

RANGE:

700 km

POWERPLANT:

1 Bristol Mercury IX, 830 Hk

LOAD:

4 stk. 7,7 mm MG