WELCOME!
THE MUSEUM
VISIT US
EXHIBITIONS

 

NEWS
WHAT'S ON?
SCHOOL/KIDS
RESTORATION
RESEARCH
DOCUMENTATION
CONTACT US
SEARCH

 

 
Junkers JU-88 A-4
 
   


4 crew bomber

History
The development of the JU-88 was begun in January 1936. In December of the same year, the prototype took to the air for the first time with Junkers' chief test pilot, Flugkapitan Kindermann, at the controls. The plane had the civilian registration mark D-AQEN and was equipped with two 1,000 hp Daimler-Benz DB- 600Ao engines. The prototype, described as the V-1, was lost after a short time, but had proven that it was a successful construction. Subsequently, 14,780 JU-88s were built. Originally, this type of aircraft was intended for high altitude bombing and dive bombing, but several different versions were built and adapted to most operational air tasks.

The Museum's JU-88A-4, production number 1478, was equipped with two 1400 hp Jumo 211 J-1 aircraft engines. Its registration mark was 4D+AM and it belonged to the kilo30 "Adler Geschwader" that was based in Banak, Lakselv. After running out of fuel, the plane crashed near Refsbotn between Hammerfest and Banak on April 14, 1942. The crew ejected themselves before the aircraft hit the ground. In 1988, the plane was carried to Banak air base with the help of helicopters from 330 and 339 squadrons, where it was taken care of and later stored in the Defence Museum's collection at Gardermoen. The plane was not restored, but is on display in the state it was found.


TEKNISKE DATA
LENGDE: 14,5 m
VINGESPENN: 20,0 m
HØYDE: 4,9 m
MAKS. VEKT: 14000 kg
MAKS. HASTIGHET: 475 km/t
MAKS. HØYDE: 8235 m
REKKEVIDDE: 3040 km
MOTOR: 2 Jumo 211J-1, 1000 Hk
ANDRE OPPLYSNINGER: 1 stk 13 mm MG, 4 stk 7,9 mm MG, 3000 kg bomber
 


Click for 3-view image