WELCOME!
THE MUSEUM
VISIT US
EXHIBITIONS

 

NEWS
WHAT'S ON?
SCHOOL/KIDS
RESTORATION
RESEARCH
DOCUMENTATION
CONTACT US
SEARCH

 

 
Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina
 
   


United States, maritime patrol aircraft, amphibian


The first contract regarding the construction of the PBY-1 Flying Boat was signed on June 29, 1935. As production increased, the aircraft was modified, involving such changes as a more powerful engine, armaments, arms carrying facilities, etc. The PBY-5 was given the famous "blisters" on the side of the fuselage behind the wings, and the rudder was given the design that is characteristic of the PBY-5 and PBY-5A.

The first Catalina in Norwegian service was a PBY-5B Flying Boat assigned to 1477(N) Flight, which later became 333 Squadron. 330 Squadron also flew Catalinas for a while. Their missions consisted of U-boat reconnaissance patrol and trips to the coast of Norway with personnel and equipment. After World War II, the Airforce used this type of aircraft for transport and rescue operations, for herring searches, and even for mine hunts. In the autumn of 1953, 333 Squadron received 6 new PBY-5a Amfibium aircraft. These were in service until 1961. By then, the Catalina had been in Airforce service for almost 20 years!


TECHNICAL DATA

LENGTH:

19,7 m

WINGSPAN:

34,1 m

HEIGHT:

5,6 m

MAX T/O WEIGHT:

17000 kg

MAX SPEED:

300 km/t

CEILING:

4900 m

RANGE:

4100 km

POWERPLANT:

2 P&W 1830-92, 1200 Hk

LOAD (PBY-5A):

5stk. 12,7 mm cannons, deepwater-bombs