WELCOME!
THE MUSEUM
VISIT US
EXHIBITIONS

 

NEWS
WHAT'S ON?
SCHOOL/KIDS
RESTORATION
RESEARCH
DOCUMENTATION
CONTACT US
SEARCH

Post 2: The church


A postcard of the church anno 1904
Stort Bilde
Stort Bilde
After 27. mai
Work on the church started the summer of 1886 by county governor Otto Aubert. The church with seating for 1.100, was dedicated January 6 1888. The silverware, given by pharmacist Johannes Aas, was brought to safety by sexton Albert Andersen during the bombing of May 27.
On the right in the picture from 1904 You may see the chapel. That's were the funeral service of the "lower classes" was held. The "upper class" held their ceremonies in the church proper. When the bombers arrived on May 27 a service had just ended in the chapel. The driver of the funeral wagon managed to unbuckle the terrified horse, but both wagon and coffin fell prey to the flames.

Bodø central church today. Or rather cathedral, as Bodø today is an Episcopal seat.
Continue westward along Prinsensgate.
Tilbake til Innholdsfortegnelsen

Back to Contents