RESEARCH
DOCUMENTATION
CONTACT US
SEARCH

Post 9: Kvamme / Berglann

Stort Bilde
Stort Bilde
Berglann's house left, Kvamme in the middle
Helliesensgate 15 used to be owned by the painter, Kvamme. His family evacuated, but an elder lady named Pauline Rasmussen refused to leave town. The house was then hit by a 250 kilogram bomb, and Pauline Rasmussen was killed.

On the other side of the street (Fredensborgveien 37, today 137) was the house of editor Sigurd Berglann. He ran Nordland Pressebureau. His house was made of brick, so with the howling of the air raid siren people in the neighbourhood poured inside the house, thinking themselves to be safer in the cellar of a brick house rather than in the neighbouring wooden houses. But the house was hit repeatedly by firebombs and burned down. Luckily enough everybody inside got away with it unhurt.

Today
Walk forward to Biskop Kroghs gate, turn right and walk towards Parkveien. Thereafter You continue towards Rensåsen until You se the hospital.
Tilbake til Innholdsfortegnelsen

Back to Contents
Stort Bilde
Knut Isaksen had to evacuate Bodø as a six year old: "Kristian and Ane Isaksen sat out for Valnesfjord with their seven children and the goods they were able to carry. (...) My father drove a wheelbarrow, and as the youngest child I got to sit on top of it part of the way. To the best of my recollection we walked for three days and nights. 50 kilometres from Bodø until Strømsnes in Valnesfjord. When we arrived we was given an old house at the quay by the bridge. It had earlier housed a store."