WELCOME!
THE MUSEUM
VISIT US
EXHIBITIONS

 

NEWS
WHAT'S ON?
SCHOOL/KIDS
RESTORATION
RESEARCH
DOCUMENTATION
CONTACT US
SEARCH
 
EXHIBITIONS
 
 
THE HISTORY OF NORWEGIAN MILITARY AVIATION
 
 
Military flights started in 1912. Up until 1940 most of the aircraft belonging to the Navy and Army air forces were domestic designs or built under license agreements. Considerable orders for aircraft were placed during the months prior to the invasion of Norway on April 9, 1940.

 
 
 
 
When war broke out, only a few aircraft had been delivered. The unequal situation led to the rapid defeat of the Norwegian forces. After the withdrawal of allied forces, the Norwegian Government gave up fighting in Norway and fled to Great Britain on June 10th 1940.

The Army and Navy air forces established themselves in Great Britain under the command of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Norwegian air and ground crews operated from here in both Norwegian squadrons and in purely English squadrons (RAF).

In the autumn of 1940, a Norwegian training center known as "Little Norway" was established in Toronto, Canada. The Norwegian Air Force (RNoAF) was established by a royal decree on November 1 1944, thereby merging the Army and Navy air forces.
Up until May 8, 1945, 335 persons had lost their lives while taking part in the efforts of the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

In 1947, the Surveillance and Control Division acquired its first radar system.

In 1959, the Anti-Aircraft Artillery was integrated into the Royal Norwegian Air Force.


Back<<<