Blue Line  
JU 88                                                                

Recovery at Kinnarodden summer 1999

Birger Larsen
This years recovery expedition of the two Ju88s in the Mehamn area was a great succsess!

The Norwegian Aviation Museum staged a similar expedition two years ago. Then the aim was to recover the engines and one tail section of the two Ju88s. Even if the weather then was marginal, we finally collected everything of what was planned.With the great help from 330 Squadron based at Banak AFB. We soon had the different parts in storage at Bodø.
This year we planned to dismantle

Ready for lift

the two Ju88s in order to have them airlifted to Mehamn Airport. Again with great help from 330 Squadron.

The expedition started out from Mehamn august 3rd. Accompanying us were two german journalists, Knut and Hans-Christof, covering the event for a german magazine. Altogether 6 
other participants were to do the dismantling and preparations for airlifting.
In order to be in position for the dismantling of the two airplanes we first had to travel by boat. The boat (owned by Nordic Safari Wildlife AdventuresAS) brought us safely ashore at Sandfjorden.We put up the base camp down by the seaside. This way we only needed to carry the tools necessary for the dismantling of the first airplane up to the top of the mountain.

The following day we started for the first Ju88. We had some fog at the top of the mountains but this cleared away when we arrived at the site. To help speed up the operations we carried a specially made tool for loosening the nuts for the connection of the wings. When arriving we soon found out that we could not use the tool! The space were too narrow between the nuts and other components connected to the fuselage. Luckily we carried other tools suitable for doing the job. The first wing disconnected

A scetch of the plane

relatively fast but the tools sustained damage. After loosening two nuts on the other wing the tools were almost worn out. What to do now??

We still had two more nuts to loosen before we had the job finished. But - did we not hear the sounds of a helicopter??
Sure, a helicopter from 330 Sqdn. arrived. They had scrambled for a rescue operation close by and now they paid us a visit to see if everything went according to plans!
New plans were made and then the helicopter set out for Mehamn Airport. Soon they returned carrying a new tool borrowed from the people working at the airport.

The two remaining nuts came off in a hurry and soon we could return to the base-camp in a good mood.
Down there we collected logs to make a fire. Torgeir was appointed "Grillmaster" and celebrating the succsessful day we felt rather satisfied with what was acheived.

The next day we had about the same type of weather as the other day. We decided to split the team into two groups. One group were to do the preparations necessary for a safe airlifting. The other group were to dismantle the second Ju88 lying further inland from the camp.
Two of the team soon were on their way up on top of the mountain for the first Ju88.
Close to lunchtime the first of the Ju88s was ready for airlifting.
At the same time three of the crew set course for the second of the Ju88s. Here they started disconnecting the nuts which held

In Bodø

the right hand wing to the fuselage. The nuts were very corroded and soon problems arose disconnecting the bottom nuts. Trying very hard using every trick in the books they finally could disconnect the second wing!
Now the weather had improved and returning to the camp we could now enjoy the splendid wiews of the area in a brilliant sunshine.
Since now everything were done we decided to return to Mehamn. At six o`clock in the evening we again were picked up by the boat. Soon we enjoyed a beer and a pizza at the hotel.

The next morning we had marvellous weather. The Sea-King flown by Capt. Norderval arrived at Mehamn Airport as planned. Before landing, the helicopter flew low over the plateu to check out the weather conditions. They could barely see the Junkers on top of the mountain because of fog!Since the planned for slingload was up to the maximum load allowed, the helicopter had to get rid of some of the crew not necessary for the operations. Also some of the loose equipment were unloaded. Before the helicopter was ready for slingload the fog covered the mountaintop.
The crew decided to at least try to lift parts from the Junkers in the Sandfjorden but only one flight was possible before the helicopter had to return to the airport.

Then very little happened for a long time. We had almost given up the idea of having the rest of the parts down before winter. Mehamn Airport authorities sent an E-mail reminding us of the centersection still present at the airport. The winter was just around the corner and they needed the area for clearing away the snow!
The next day I made a call to tell them that we had delayed the transport because we still had hopes for the rest of the parts to come down.
"You can come now", the answer was. The Sea-King has already flown in three loads of Junkers and they are now out there to pick up the fourth load!!!
Capt. Norderval and his crew had not let us down!

Now the only thing that remained was to repack for the shipment by boat.
Because of other planned arrangements at the museum we could not go to Mehamn until monday, oct. 8th. This allowed for the neccessary planning of the next step in the recovery operation. The four-man crew arrived in the evening. Next day the preparations started for shipment of the parts.
Thanks to super assistance from the employees of the Mehamn Airport we were able to finish the preparations in two days.

Because of the size of the wings the only kind of transportation possible was by boat. The Strand Shipping Company found a suitable ship ("MS Tanto.") and planned to pick up the freight already the 18th. of october. Because of a lot of bad weather the shipping of the two Junkers were delayed by one week. 

Friday october 26th. was a great day for all of us at the museum. Then the two Ju88`s arrived.

In Bodø

The wings and the remains of the fuselage of W.no.0797 is in storage at the Bodø AFB but the front part of the fuselage of W.no.1203 is in the workshop for cleaning and preservation.

Historical facts about the two airplanes:

Ju88 located at Kinnarodden:

Type: Ju88 D-1
Serial: 088 1203
Markings: 4N+EH
Unit: 1(F)/22
History: Started out from Kirkenes to bomb the ship A.Marti (3500 t.) south of Bjørnøya february 17th. 1943.Was hit by flak and had to belly-land with damage to the left engine. None of the crew wounded. Later on some important parts recovered by german soldiers from Banak AF.
After the war sold by the Norwegian Government to a team of four living in Mehamn. Intended to be broken up as scrap.
Sold to the Norwegian Aviation Museum 1998.


  1. Feldwebel Gerhard Kunert (B.17.03.1920) Pilot
  2. Lt. Hans Krüger. (B.07.03.1920) Observer/Nav.
  3. Unteroffizier Fritz Sundergeld (B.22.05.1922) Radio operator.
  4. Unteroffizier Georg Lechner (B.24.06.1920) Air gunner.

Ju88 located at Sandfjorden:

Type: Ju88 C-4
Serial: 088 0797
Markings: 4D+HA
Unit: KG30
History: Made an emergency landing coming from the sea. Sliding over the small hill, the airplane stopped before reaching the small lake in the bottom of Sandfjorden. All three of the crew wounded in the emergency landing.
Sold to the same group that bought the other JU88 at Kinnarodden.
Sold to the Norwegian Aviation Museum 1998.

  1. Staffelkapitän Kuno Gotthard (B.19.03.1913) Pilot.
  2. Oberleutnant Helmut Lüttgens (B.22.11.1913) Navigator.
  3. Stabsfeldwebel Willi Hillebrecht (B.27.11.1910) Radio operator


1.Desember 2003
German/Norwegian cooperation.

Norwegian Aviation Museum, Bodø (NLM) and the Deutsches Teknikmuseum, Berlin (DTMB) has agreed on the restoring of two Junkers Ju88 airplanes. Several years ago a Ju88 G-1 was discovered at the bottom of Plattensee inside Hungary 1996. After recovery this airplane were taken over by DTMB. This Ju88 is planned to be part of the new exhibition in the DTMB-building. However, most of the R/H side wing, the
tip of the L/H side wing and major parts for the fuselage were missing.

The DTMB will use the wreckage of 0880797 as spares for the rebuild. The fuselage of 0881203 will be used for patterns. As of now no deal is made for the restoring of the wings for the 0881203.

In return for all this, DTMB will rebuild the fuselage of 0881203. Already all internal components are removed. The internal details are to be restored and put back inside the fuselage upon return. In addition to this DTMB will rebuild a set of wings for NLM´s Messerschmitt Bf109 G-2 project.

It is expected that the two Ju88´s are to leave Bodø before X-mas. The restoring of the two Junkers Ju88´s will take place at the Karl Birczak Restoration shop in Hereg, Hungary.


February 10th. 2004.
The two Ju88s finally on its way to Hungary.

he two fuselages from our Ju88s recovered some time ago are now finally on its way to Hungary. Due to bureaucratic delays we are about one year later than originally planned.

Now everything is OK and the two fuselages were loaded onto trucks around lunchtime February 10th.


Parts of the cargo were loaded into two containers but the longest fuselage part was taken directly into a truck. The wings are to follow sometimes this summer.

The pictures is showing the loading of the trucks in Bodø.